Thursday, March 31, 2011

MY WORST NIGHTMARE

Did you hear about the thieves who reported themselves to the police? They were trying to break into an office building a few days ago in Cologne, Germany when their elevator became stuck. They couldn’t get out, so they finally used the elevator’s emergency phone to call the authorities. Firemen freed the two men and they were immediately arrested.

I know the feeling. When I was working at my first hotel, a high-rise hotel of 29 stories, I found myself stuck in the elevator on the 25th floor. I remember having to talk myself into remaining calm. Since I was the Assistant Manager [MOD} on call at the time , I didn’t think it would be too cool if I lost my cool. I too was rescued by firemen, but fortunately not arrested.

Have you ever been stuck in an elevator? If so, perhaps you had a similar experience.

I’m not a big fan of all the seemingly frivolous laws that our state and national representatives enact for us to live by but, whoever decided on making it a law to have phones in elevators did good by me.

I sleep pretty well most nights but when I do have a nightmare, it is most often about being stuck in an elevator in a really tall building.

I’m glad hotels don’t have a 13th floor. That would just add to my weirdness about lifts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds almost like the story that I'm about to tell-only difference is that it wasn't me that got stuck in the elevator, but sometimes I feel really guilty about it. I recently worked at a property that was only two floors. Even though this property had been there for sometime, the elevator was not installed until 5 years ago. Some of the staff-especially my housekeeping team-was very unsure about using the elevator since they were so used to not having one. After sometime I finally talked my houseman into using the "convience" of the elevator. After about 30 minutes of being missing, we search for the him only to have one of the room attendants hear his voice yelling from the elevator! He was so nervous that he did not see the phone in the elevator and just feared for his life-at least that's how he put it!!!
So my friend, it doesn't matter if you have 20 floors or just 2, it can happen at anytime. So beware.

Welcome to Fred Cerrone's Blog

Welcome to “Stuff Worth Sharing”! It is our hope that this blog will help you to know more about our Founder & Chairman, Fred Cerrone, as well as gain some insight into his vision and dreams for Hotel Equities. We welcome your feedback as well as any topics that you would like Fred to cover. Thanks for all you do to help make Hotel Equities a success!

Read More