Thursday, August 15, 2013

Football, Change and BHAGs

School started this week in Atlanta which means football season is here.  Changes abound this time of year.  Never mind the August heat and humidity; it’s time for a fresh new start for millions of kids, their families and their teachers.  It’s time to set new goals and rearrange priorities. 

 
I have often thought that one of the most dangerous places to be is between goals.  I compare it to the summer slump – school’s out, I did well and I deserve a break.  It can happen in business - I make the sale, I earned a promotion and now I can coast for a while. What’s the danger?

 
Without a long-term goal or vision, anyone can quickly lose focus.  As one project reaches completion, look ahead, cast a vision, and set a new goal.  Fortunately, I have had good mentors in my career and I benefited personally from their examples.  
 
In business, it is critical to have vision, mission and value statements. The old adage, “If you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything”, applies here. Well-thought-out goals and objectives serve as curbs to lead us in the right direction lest we get “off track”.   At Hotel Equities, we ask all team members to carry our vision, mission and value statements, which are included on a tri-folded, pocket-sized, laminated Commitment Card, with them at all times while they are at work.  We then ask our General Managers to review them during their daily team huddle time.

 
Here’s my advice for the fall.  Take an occasional breather, keep dreaming, and take time to review your future focus and plan your next BHAG [Big Hairy Audacious Goal].


Hospitably,
Fred Cerrone

No comments:

Welcome to Fred Cerrone's Blog

Welcome to “Stuff Worth Sharing”! It is our hope that this blog will help you to know more about our Founder & Chairman, Fred Cerrone, as well as gain some insight into his vision and dreams for Hotel Equities. We welcome your feedback as well as any topics that you would like Fred to cover. Thanks for all you do to help make Hotel Equities a success!

Read More