Thursday, April 23, 2015

Tools of a Leader: Discipline




One of my mentors, John Maxwell, put it this way, “Discipline is doing what you really don’t want to do, so that you can do what you really want to do.  It’s paying the price in the little things, so that you can buy the bigger thing.” 

When I went back to school to earn a master’s degree at the age of 62, it was one of the most difficult things that I have ever done.  I did it because I wanted to set a good example for my grandchildren and associates, and I wanted to keep my mind disciplined and sharp.  The sacrifices made and the time invested have paid dividends beyond my expectations.

To be successful as a leader requires discipline in many areas. One that always brings good results is spending quality time with new hires.  Setting clear expectations and giving proper training to associates when they first come on board pays tremendous benefits as these rookies grow and mature into top talent and highly effective team members.

A living example of discipline in action is my grandson, Eli White.  Years of disciplined, focused practice from little league through high school, led to a college scholarship and a current role as the starting shortstop on the Clemson University baseball team.  To keep his spot and to prepare for the next opportunity, his discipline continues with daily workouts and practice, in addition to college classes.

I am so proud of Eli for both his baseball and classroom achievements. I am equally proud of each of our hotel team members who utilize their training and skills to take great care of our guests. A winning formula for success in almost any venture is the utilization of gifts and talents to accomplish worthwhile things by making a difference in the lives of others.

Hospitably,
Fred Cerrone

No comments:

Welcome to Fred Cerrone's Blog

Welcome to “Stuff Worth Sharing”! It is our hope that this blog will help you to know more about our Founder & Chairman, Fred Cerrone, as well as gain some insight into his vision and dreams for Hotel Equities. We welcome your feedback as well as any topics that you would like Fred to cover. Thanks for all you do to help make Hotel Equities a success!

Read More